Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Can You Hear Me?

Lately, I've spent a lot of time listening to the sounds around me. One of our clients, New York Eye and Ear, is running a Favorite Sounds campaign that has allowed me to appreciate my hearing. I spend parts of my work day listening to clips of birds chirping and the waves crashing on a fake beach..and even found myself closing my eyes listening to the taps against the hardwood floor at last week's dance class.

But then there are some sounds that really irk me. The sounds that keep me up at night and haunt my dreams. So while I am thankful that my hearing is top notch, here are my top 5 list of sounds that make me shake in annoyance.

1. The subway: STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING DOORS PLEASE. BING BONG. or even better the conductor yelling "THERE IS A TRAIN DIRECTLY BEHIND US. IF YOU DO NOT FIT, PLEASE DO NOT COME ON. STEP ALL THE WAY IN PEOPLE." Hellish.

2. My alarm: There's a reason I snooze for an hour every morning. The sound of my alarm means my peaceful hours of rest are over and I must leave the comfort of my warm, cozy bed.


3. The house phone ring tone: Who still calls this thing? Why is it ringing? Why must it ring at the most random of times? Cell phones, grandma. We all have them.

4. Airplanes: Even before 9/11, I hated the sound of airplanes flying over my house. They always seem to be a tid bit too close by and I've literally have had nightmares about this sound.


5. Spotify Ads: We listen to Spotify for the entire 8 hours of the work day and every 15 minutes the ads come on. It's at least 50% louder than the actual music and urges you to try premium service free for 30 days. We can pretty much recite the ads by heart and have all considered chipping in a few bucks a month just to make the guy's voice disappear. I vow to one day find the Spotify ads guy/girl and make them pay for interrupting our jam.

What sounds interrupt your day and make you mad? What do you do to stop them? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment