Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Hello 1996!

Before I begin, a big thanks to Tyler Becker for the inspiration for this post ... and my favorite #1800ballers for the long throwback conversation we had at lunch on Tuesday.

This week, Nickelodeon has listened to its dedicated 20-something year old fans and brought back 90's Nick starting at midnight. This includes Keenan and Kel (who loves orange soda?), Doug (and PorkChop, too), All That (Pierre Escargot!) and a variety of others.

While I am more than ecstatic about this comeback, I can't help but think of a million other things I'd love to see be resurrected in 2011. These include...

N Sync: After seeing Backstreet Boys perform last summer in Atlantic City, my best friend and I have been anxious for N Sync to throw a reunion tour. We already promised each other we would be willing spend hundreds on front row tickets and travel to wherever necessary to see them live. Our 10 year old selves will thank us..and it will be a tale to tell the kids one day!

Milky Pens/ Gel Pens: Remember when it was cool to write all over yourself and your friends? Why isn't it cool anymore? Lets bring back the brightly colored, pastel colored, and glitter colored pens to draw hearts and peace signs all over eachother's hands and arms during social studies class. Who's with me?!

Mad Libs: Hours and hours of fun could be had with this $5 fill in the blank word game. For some reason, I remember using the word "umbrella" 95% of the time when they asked for a 'noun' (I guess I thought it was a funny word). Can you imagine playing now as a legal adult? Oh the words I can imagine my friends using now....

Skip Its: "But the very best thing of all, there's a counter on this ball!" .. Come on, I know you all remember the jingle! I broke an average of 5 skip-its a summer yet continually wasted my mom's money on replacing them. Something about strapping a ball to one ankle and jumping over it with the other was just the coolest thing for me in the 90s. I want someone to re-invent and modernize the skip-it so that 1) the counter would actually work 2) the ball wouldn't break off and 3)it played some sort of bad ass music to skip to. Any inventors up there up for this challenge?

Tamagotchis: No explanation necessary. They are "phat".

Are you excited about the 90s Nick TV making a comeback? What other 90's things do you wish you could see today? Comment below!

5 comments:

  1. haha agreee!!! skip its were made to be broken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG to all of this! I LOVED skip-its. My neighbor (not Arielle....a different neighbor) broke the two that I had. and OMG i recently found a pouch of 20 dried-up milky pens. it was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beanie babies! spice girls! LFO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good ones Marissa! Spice Girls go without saying haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids still write on themselves thanks to T-swift haha. I tutor a 16 year old who always has a new surprise up her arm (usually some rendition of the number 13- taylor swift's favorite number haha). Also, I made an "I love the 90s" playlist on my ipod to work out to. I highly recommend doing that, it totally pumps you up.

    ReplyDelete